Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Thoughts on Fiber

This has become somewhat of a running joke with my girlfriend. She accuses me of being "obsessed with fiber". And I guess to some extent, I am. I look for foods with high amounts of it. I don't get as much as the FDA recommends, but I can safely assume I can more than most guys my age. But, I don't supplement it.

So, why is someone under the age of 60 so concerned with getting enough fiber? I'm not really sure where it exactly started. I guess it's actually several things at once:

1. I'm trying to eat better. Supposedly, more fiber fills you up with less intake. I have not found this to be the case. Portion sizes are still a problem for me.

2. I got a subscription to Men's Health Magazine for Christmas. They advocate getting enough fiber. Their main drawback is that to truly eat as healthy as they describe and recommend, you'd pretty much go broke. Still, though, interesting stuff.

3. There's so many different health benefits to a high fiber diet. Check out this site:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fiber/NU00033

There you have it. Just a random post on a random subject. Hope you found it interesting, or at least interesting enough to kill a few seconds of your day.

No comments: